Newborn Skin Care Tips from a Board-Certified Dermatologist
So you’re a new parent with a brand new baby! Congrats on embarking on the most challenging endeavor ever- much more challenging than your first year as a physician in your intern year!
So many questions…How do I support the baby’s head (I need to do a better job in this photo)? Why does my baby make those grunting sounds in the middle of the night and sounds like a baby dinosaur from Jurassic Park? How do I swaddle a baby and how can I make one for myself when I go to bed? Oh, wait, there’s no sleep for us parents? That saying, “I slept like a baby” was a complete lie as your baby actually does not sleep so soundly as I imagined. There are so many concerns, questions and doubts as a parent.
With that said, I want to help you with 5 tips for newborn skin care!
1. Aquaphor or Vaseline: diaper rash, rashes on the face from teething or eczema.
Check out my amazon storefront https://www.amazon.com/shop/danielsugaimd
2. Aquaphor baby wash for scalp and face/body! https://www.amazon.com/shop/danielsugaimd
Shampoo only: check out Johnson's baby tear free shampoo https://amzn.to/2X8J7Xn
3. Desitin: Diaper rash issues? Love this stuff and make sure to have an extra tube when traveling. Kids will get sick and diarrhea is a common symptom. Diarrhea can lead to diaper rashes and thus the zinc in Desitin is very soothing and anti-inflammatory. Apply this “like cream cheese” over the behind to protect the skin and to help it heal.
4. SPF/Sunscreen: I recommend mineral based ingredients (zinc oxide, titanium dioxide) for your broad spectrum sunscreens- I like Blue Lizard, Aveeno Baby and Neutrogena Baby. They can make them look pasty white but babies don’t mind! Get a sun hat and sunglasses for them although they always try to rip them off themselves after 2 seconds. Check out my Amazon storefront to browse through sunscreens https://www.amazon.com/shop/danielsugaimd
5. Hydrocortisone 1% cream: Nice to use on bug bites, small patches of dry itchy skin or skin irritation but do not use longer than 1 week! See your board certified dermatologist if you are not finding relief with Cortisone 10/hydrocortisone. https://amzn.to/3g4pkkS
These products are good for baby shower gifts by the way. You can find them on my Amazon storefront at https://www.amazon.com/shop/danielsugaimd
Please stay healthy and safe while being quarantined at home. We will pull through this together!
Follow me on Instagram for more skin care tips and education: https://www.instagram.com/danielsugaimd/
Please check out my other skin care videos:
Don't Break the Bank on Skin Care Products: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZO_PWz66U0
Melanoma Awareness: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbpeyyHR1JU&t=578s
My Nightly Skin care Routine and What I think of Celeb Skin Care Nighttime Routines: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkA1DZGIgws&t=66s
How I treat Acne https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_MdLPHtqb0&t=14s
Acne Causes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajhbWISlwXg&t=366s
Serums Vs Moisturizers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2m-nu...
The Moisturizers I Can't Live Without https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bjcI...
Shaving 101 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U08KU...
Pandemic Skin Care Emergencies! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8c7sjrsKIus
Can Mask Use Cause Acne? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5cFtjyzoQU&t=9s
No Copyright Music:
Song: MusicbyAden - Dusk (Vlog No Copyright Music)
Music provided by Vlog No Copyright Music.
Video Link: https://youtu.be/je6iwUdvQD4
Song: Erik Lund - Summertime (Vlog No Copyright Music)
Music promoted by Vlog No Copyright Music.
Video Link: https://youtu.be/E338aF6QHu8
Thank you to VisualDx for being an amazing resource.
Disclaimer: This video is not intended to be a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment with your healthcare professional. This is for medical educational purposes only.
I am not sponsored by any of the companies mentioned in this video. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.